Clear all

[Solved] BCM and BOARD in Raspberry Pi

5 Posts
1 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@Gregory)

Hey everyone in the AlfanoTV community,

I hope you're all doing great. I've been getting into Raspberry Pi projects lately, and I've come across these terms "BCM" and "BOARD" when dealing with GPIO pins.

Can anyone shed some light on what exactly they mean and how they relate to working with the Raspberry Pi?

I'm eager to learn and your explanations would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! 🍓🥧

4 Replies
(@raspi)

Hi

BCM and BOARD are two numbering systems for the pins on the Raspberry Pi.

BCM lists pins by their Broadcom SOC channel (GPIO 23, GPIO 24), while BOARD numbers them consecutively (1, 2, 3) starting with the far left pin of the second row of pins.

Pin configuration is supported only by the RPi.GPIO library. GPIO Zero uses BOARD by default.

In RPi.GPIO, the pin numbering system declaration is done with:

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.XX)

Where XX should be replaced by BCM or BOARD.

3 Replies
 Glen
(@Glen)

Thank you!

(@Marck)

👍

lucy
(@lucy)

Thank you for such a thorough explanation! Understanding the differences between the BCM and BOARD pin numbering systems for the Raspberry Pi is incredibly helpful, especially for those of us diving into GPIO operations.

Your breakdown makes it much clearer how to set the pin numbering mode in RPi.GPIO, which is invaluable for our projects. Your detailed response will undoubtedly guide many forum users through their Raspberry Pi endeavors more effectively. I truly appreciate it!

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:
Scroll to Top