Forum

Arduino: How much c...

Notifications
Clear all

Arduino: How much current can a jumper handle?

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@Richard)

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an Arduino project and was wondering how much current the standard jumpers I use for connections can handle. Does anyone have information on the current-carrying capacity of typical Arduino jumpers? I'm using wires with a gauge of ..., and I want to make sure I don't exceed their current limits to avoid any issues.

Appreciate any guidance or experiences you can share.

Thanks!

1 Reply
 elon
(@elon)

Hi
The current-carrying capacity of a jumper wire, often used in Arduino projects, depends on various factors, primarily the wire gauge or thickness. Commonly used jumper wires in Arduino projects are around 22 or 24 AWG (American Wire Gauge), and they are designed for low-current applications.

Typically, these jumper wires can handle currents in the range of a few hundred milliamperes (mA) without significant issues. However, it's important to note that jumper wires are primarily intended for signal connections and not for carrying heavy currents.

If you need to handle higher currents in your Arduino project, such as connecting to power sources or driving high-power components, it's advisable to use dedicated power wires with a larger gauge. Wires with a gauge of 18 AWG or lower are more suitable for carrying higher currents.

In any case, when dealing with specific current requirements, it's a good practice to check the specifications of the wire you are using. Exceeding the current-carrying capacity of a wire can lead to overheating and potential safety hazards. If you are dealing with higher currents, consider using wires and connectors that are explicitly designed for the intended current levels in your project.

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:
Scroll to Top